Six must-do’s before renovating
While investing in your home does improve its value, renovating can have its challenges. Here are 6 do’s and don’ts to avoid home renovation problems.
- Before starting anything, scour the web for inspiration and ideas (see some of our website recommendations). Having a clear idea of what you want will save you money in the long run.
- Don’t use your entire budget. Keep 20% aside - 10% for surprises along the way and the other 10% for decorating.
- Manage your expectations when it comes to the deadline for completion. Unforeseen delays occur regardless of the amount of planning, so take a deep breath and carry on.
- If you can afford to, move out. There is a lot of noise and dust in renovating. Moving out will ensure a healthier family and more room for the contractors to work.
- Don’t DIY when it comes to plumbing and wiring unless you are a certified professional. You will require an electrical certificate when selling and for insurance.
- Consider hiring a project manager. They will take the stress out of coordinating contractors and builders etc. and will ensure your vision becomes a reality. But before hiring anyone, visit http://www.southafrica.info/services/consumer/building.htm#.VEyyuuebQ7A
The information here will prevent you from being taken advantage of by a builder or contractor and advise you on the best course of action.