Do you have a dream holiday destination? Maybe it’s exploring the Amazon jungle, or eating macaroons on Parisian sidewalks? Your dream may not be as impossible as you think!
Shafeeqah Isaacs love of exploring the world has turned her into a holiday budgeting expert, and she takes herself on a ‘Solomoon’ at least once a year. Check out her advice for planning your dream holiday without overspending.
Holiday Budgeting Tips:
- Don’t blow your budget on your accommodation. Bed and breakfasts or AirBNB can provide you with a neat and comfy room to use as your base and you’re spending most of your time outside anyway!
- Plan and pay for a few experiences beforehand, that way you’ll have high points to look forward to even if you’ve run out of budget for other activities.
- Don’t skimp on travel insurance, you may need it when you least expect it, and no one wants an expensive hospital bill to ruin the rest of the holiday.
- Create a daily budget, but set aside a little extra. Remember, you’re going on holiday, and you don’t want to miss out on something amazing just because it doesn’t fit into your budget.
- Keep your suitcase at least half empty, you never know what you might find on your trip that you’ll need space for on the flight back!
- The most important thing to remember, according to Shafeeqah, is that there are many shapes a travel emergency can take. Sometimes you drink the wrong kind of water and end up with a sore stomach, and sometimes you absolutely have to take a day trip to a beautiful waterfall for a midnight swim. Be kind to yourself, use your credit card sparingly, and always have a plan to pay any travel loans back.
Check out Direct Talk for more stories on life, money and everything in between.