Crunching metal, loud noises, your life flashing in front of your eyes. Then suddenly it’s over. You’ve survived a car crash. But you can’t say as much for your car…
Chef Benny Masekwameng knows this feeling. He wrote off his dream car and was lucky enough to walk away unscathed. His car, however, was completely written off.
He remembers the experience like it was yesterday, and beside being grateful for his life, he remembers being overcome with relief at knowing everything was insured.
Without car insurance, Benny realises that his life would have taken a serious step backward, and now preaches the gospel of vehicle insurance to whoever will listen. Here are some of his tips to help you find the best insurance option for you.
Car Insurance Tips:
- The cheapest option isn’t always the best option for you. Consider the specific things you need from your cover and make sure everything is included.
- Familiarise yourself with the terms of your excess. Would there be any extra fees when you make a claim? Is there a difference in the excess for different claims?
- Are there any excesses for allowing others to drive your car if something goes wrong, or if you make a claim within the first few months?
- Is the insurance provider reputable? Double check that the company providing your insurance is registered with the Financial Service Board before trusting a deal that might be too good to be true.
- Are there any extras required? Do you need to invest in a security device? These might cost extra, but could benefit you in the long term.
Insurance seems like one of those things you don’t think you’ll ever need. It’s easy to feel invincible when you’ve never had a bad experience, but if something ever did, it’s good to know there’s a safety blanket that will help you move on in the event of an emergency.
Check out Direct Talk for more stories on life, money and everything in between.